Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Fighting Negative Body Image MEssages In The Media

I was just send a link to this great website: http://www.about-face.org/ It has a list of offending images and a list of images that show empowered women.

We all know this is a big issue, it's probably got a greater influence than most of us realize. I think I'm lucky to have grown up watching classic movies more than I looked at magazines, my mental image of a gorgeous woman is Ingrid Bergman in a well tailoerd suit with a ridiculous 1940's hat, or Katherine Hepburn playing golf, not a twig-legged girl lying prone and submissive in a transparent dress (one of the images listed on the "bad" side").

This isn't the worst thing going on in the world right now, but it's still worth our attention.

No comments:

What to do with teenagers when roller skating gets old? SkyZone!

As the mother of a teenage daughter, figuring out activities that give ME a break, are nearby, don't involve computers and cell phones...