Thursday, November 13, 2003

Geeky Gamers

In a short article on the BBC's web site, game developer Anna Larkin challenges the stereotype that video games appeal only to a certain demographic. She posits that it's the presentation of games, not the games themselves, that attract the typical male teenager to a game:

Most video game adverts appear in gaming magazines, and many of the adverts that do appear depict gamers as male.

This only serves to reinforce the stereotype that only males play games and that they are something that a female would not be interested in.


I have to agree. I certainly enjoy a good rousing shoot-em-up every once in a while, though I generally prefer puzzle and strategy games. I don't oay attention to the game's marketing material; I look at the game itself, and think, would I enjoy that?

No comments:

What to do with teenagers when roller skating gets old? SkyZone!

As the mother of a teenage daughter, figuring out activities that give ME a break, are nearby, don't involve computers and cell phones...