Saturday, May 11, 2002

Men and Self Help

Has anyone else wondered about the self help industry? I see a large number of wealthy white guys selling programs for us to improve our lives. I see a lot of wealthy white guys running off to the Cayman Islands to deposit large checks hidden behind corporate "bodies." I mean really, who is going to put "Enron" in jail, or "Global Crossing," or "Arthur Anderson?"
Who pays? We do. Oh yes, I do admit my jealousy. Like Mrs. Lay, I too would like to have so much that when I want to get rid of a few things I would have to do as she and open my own store. I would love for a man to buy me a white Caddilac SUV with Blue velor interior, "Here honey," as he hands me the keys, "I got this for you as a token of my love." To the Devil with the Diamonds!. But no, I get stuck doing data entry and having my ideas dismissed. My 1987 Ford Taurus Wagon works and so I must assume it is the perfect car for me.
At one time I came to a point in my life where I had to join a recovery group. I was a sloshed sister. The recovery literature was he/him focused. God was a man (no more! Thank you Starhawk). Some recovery and new age types will tell me that I am perfect just the way I am. Then why is it necessary to go out and buy Spiritual self help programs? I am perfect just the way I am.
Yet sometimes I am caught in the youth worship thing. I mean I do not have that "Victoria's Secrets" body (are stretch marks art?) and I am always getting caught up in worrying over my weight. Scientists say diets cause muscle loss, and the weight comes right back. Exercise works but with three jobs and trying to improve myself for those golden jingles of coinage that make greater privilege possible, there is precious little time for exercise. But then am I not perfect just the way I am? Yes!
Okay so I am getting older. Divorce cleared away the dead wood, but left precious little intimacy (if there ever was any). My boys are grown and doing their things, I am proud of them, even though they inherited the family disease. Older doesn't make for a "Secrets" Girl anymore either. And still, I am perfect just the way I am.
There is light at the end of the tunnel. I don't have to go out in public in a sack from head to toe. If we love and cooperate we are told we will eventually win out over sepratism, hatred, and evil, because we are perfect just the way we are.
How do I know? The Goddess told me so.
Robin

No comments:

What to do with teenagers when roller skating gets old? SkyZone!

As the mother of a teenage daughter, figuring out activities that give ME a break, are nearby, don't involve computers and cell phones...