Sunday, November 13, 2005

John Edwards: "I was wrong."

First, I want to thank everyone for inviting me to join Blog Sisters, especially Roxanne @ Rox Populi. I'm thrilled to be here and look forward to posting. I'm new around here, so I'm going to start off with something that may be a little odd, but is so important I simply have to share it. John Edwards has come out to admit he was wrong about Iraq. A little about my stance on the war, as a Democratic Party hawk, I was against this war, because it was the wrong fight. Anyway, I've put Edwards entire letter on my site, which I invite you to visit. Unfortunately, Hillary Clinton continues to "stay the course," which is untenable, but there you have it. As Edwards says, "it was a mistake." Amen to that. Here are a few paragraphs...

Dear Friend,

I was wrong.

I wrote these words about my vote to authorize the Iraq war in a Washington Post op-ed piece and I want to share my views with you as well.

Almost three years ago, we went into Iraq to remove what we were told -- and many of us believed and argued -- was a threat to America. But in fact we now know that Iraq did not have weapons of mass destruction when our forces invaded Iraq in 2003. The intelligence was deeply flawed and, in some cases, manipulated to fit a political agenda.

It was a mistake to vote for this war in 2002. I take responsibility for that mistake. It has been hard to say these words because those who didn't make a mistake -- the men and women of our armed forces and their families -- have performed heroically and paid a very dear price. It is not right, just or fair that we made a mistake, but they pay for that mistake. ...

No comments: