Saturday, June 04, 2005

The Rules of Holes for Kay O'Connor

Most folks outside of Kansas may not have heard of State Senator Kay O'Connor (R-Olathe), but Jay Leno once joked that the Taliban had voted her woman of the year. Why? Because in 2001 she said she would not have voted for the 19th Amendment, giving women the right to vote. Now she's running for the Republican nomination for Sec. of State.

Kay, dear, we need to have a little chat. It seems you haven't learned from the examples of Lawrence Summers and Tom DeLay. We need to have a little discussion about the Rules Of Holes.

    "We have a society that does tear families apart ... I think the 19th Amendment, while it's not an evil in and of itself, is a symptom of something I don't approve of." --Kay O'Connor, Sept. 28, 2001

  1. When getting out of your depth, put down the shovel and stop digging. She went on to explain that statement. "The 19th Amendment is around because men weren't doing their jobs, and I think that's sad. I believe the man should be the head of the family. The woman should be the heart of the family."

  2. Mud makes a slipperier slope than dirt, so stop pissing on your own foot. She was questioned about her position on June 1, 2005, after she announced her run for KS Sec. of State. "I don't deny saying that, and I will stick to my guns. I am not bashful about taking an unpopular position. I can take the heat."

  3. When you dig a deep enough hole, it may become your own grave. "I trust my instincts here. I don't think the citizens are going to make a big issue of it. ... I am who I am. You don't have to agree with everything I say. I think men should take better care of their women, but I think women should be more willing to accept masculine care."


Let's hope that 3rd rule holds true. Kansas already has a lousy reputation for women's rights and religious insertion into education. The last thing they need now is another official looking to roll back the clock to the 19th century.

(quotes curtesy of Assocatied Press)

Cross-posted at I See Invisible People

No comments: