Saturday, April 09, 2005

Poetry Month

Since everyone else is getting in on the Poetry Month act, I figured I'd better do it, too. This poem is from one of my favorite writers, Edgar Allan Poe. I lived in Baltimore, which means I've been to Poe's grave at Westminster Church and his house on Amity Street. I even dated the curator of the Poe House when I was in high school. He was my first love. I have many fond memories, all related to Edgar Allan Poe.

This sweet poem is called "To F___," which I believe refers to Frances Sargent Osgood. It was published in 1845. It's a lovely poem. Most people think of "The Raven" and horror stories when they think of Poe. They haven't read his love poems and his satire.

To F____

Beloved! amid the earnest woes
That crowd around my earthly path ---
(Drear path, alas! where grows
Not even one lonely rose) ---
My soul at least a solace hath
In dreams of thee, and therein knows
An Eden of bland repose.

And thus thy memory is to me
Like some enchanted far-off isle
In some tumultuous sea ---
Some ocean throbbing far and free
With storm --- but where meanwhile
Serenest skies continually
Just o'er that one bright island smile.

No comments: