Tuesday, September 14, 2004

An Open Letter to the Candidates

This post also appears at Rox Populi.

Dear John Kerry and George "W standing for Women is a lot like Putin standing for Democracy" Bush:

I no longer give a shit about your Vietnam-era exploits. It doesn't matter to me if you were once a drunk-driving, cocaine-tooting mama's boy or if you were an effete BMOC. I worked my way through San Diego State, so your Ivy League, skull-and-crossbones homoerotic initiation service and secret handshake means little to me. I don't care about your windsurfing holidays or what cowboy boots you sport. I don't care if your wife wears Adolfo suits or what beauty products your daughters use. I don't care if you can give CPR to a rodent or which brand of mountain bike you ride.

Here's what I DO care about:

  • I want you to tell me how my niece, who is entering the Air Force next month, is going to receive the best equipment available to protect her from being killed while helping you prop up a culture that relegates women to second-class status.

  • I want you to tell me how my sister, who is in the U.S. Coast Guard, is going to receive the best equipment available to help her do her job to protect people and our shores -- not from illegal immigrants and drug dealers, but from people who mean to do us harm.

  • I want you to tell me how you are going to ensure that the money I've been paying into social security for the last 20 years is still going to be there after the boomers bleed the system and my existence dry. A trip to "carousel" is not something I'm looking forward to, but it's what I expect.

  • I want you to tell me how we're going to be able to compete economically in the future against the EU, China, India and Japan -- governments not currently mired in "red herring" wasteful defense spending.

  • I want you to tell me how the U.S. is going to reduce its dependence on Saudi oil (and our relationship with the Saudi government) by developing cleaner, environment-friendly energy alternatives.

  • I want you to tell me how you're going to re-vamp the education system so that young citizens become critical thinkers and not prayerful, professional test-takers.

  • I want you to tell me how the elderly homeless lady with the face that's being eaten away by some horrible desease is going to get some help. You know, the one who lives in Lafayette Square (across from the White House)?

  • I want you to start to examine the root causes of problems and do something about those, instead of "swatting at flies."


While you and mainstream media continue to distract us with this BS, Rome is burning. As a country, we're on our way out. One of you needs to do something to change that.

Respectfully,
Roxanne

No comments: