Sunday, March 30, 2003

Ripples of Peace

Yesterday one of my favorite musicians was performing to a crowd at an art festival. I'll have to paraphrase what he said, but it went something like this:

"This isn't the first time we've gone to war, but maybe we can make it our last. Start by creating peace in your own heart. Quiet that critic in your heart and make peace within yourself. Then make peace in your own circle, be peaceful with the people who are close around you. And that peace will radiate out to all levels of people as they meet and interact."

I know many of you are thinking: "Easy for him to say! He doesn't have to deal with my nasty boss, my rebellious kid, my critical mother!" But that is the challenge! We may never have truly peaceful relationships with those people, but we can work towards a detente. It's those types of skills and attitudes that inspire and are transfered to friends, children, and colleages and can ripple around the world. If families can be peaceful (the most frustrating of all relationship networks) then citizens can be peaceful, and if citizens can be peaceful, nations can be peaceful.

No comments: