Wednesday, January 15, 2003

More Armchair Activism

Hi all, I seem to be on a blog roll lately (sorry :-)). Maybe its because classes start next week, and I'm running out of time. In any case, it seems like there's a whole lotta organizing going on, and I want to spread the word while I can. So here goes:


Check out some of the events taking place across the country to voice opposition to the push for war at the United for Peace site.


Call the White House's "opinion" line and tell the President what you think about the proposed war in Iraq at 202-456-1111. (Note: the line only accepts calls from 9-5 EST., Monday thru Friday. I haven't gotten through yet, but sources tell me that "a machine will detain you for only a moment and then a pleasant live operator will thank you for saying "I oppose" or "I
approve." Let's hope there's more than one operator.)


To see a really clever and powerful blending of technology and grass roots politics, check out Planned Parenthood's on-line Rally for Choice. If it gives you the "No Choice Blues," go to their action site SaveRoe.com for more ideas about what you can do to to protect reproductive freedom in the US.


Maybe your concerns lie more with the environment? Join PIRG in asking the Environmental Protection Agency to continue to make available to the public its data on the amount and type of chemicals being discharged into our waterways by facilities regulated by the Clean Water Act. The EPA is currently seeking public comments on this issue. Think about it like this: who doesn't want that information to be made public?

And lastly (for today), and though I'm generally suspicious about mergers between politics and the entertainment industry, I think the Lifetime network's efforts to support breast cancer research, and their support of U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro's efforts to get legislation passed that would prevent "drive-through mascectomies" is worth looking into. I just wish there wasn't quite so much advertising on the page.

Well, that's enough armchair activism for one day! Or maybe I'll try the White House again . . .


(cross-posted at Distracted)

No comments: