Friday, August 23, 2002

To All Mothers

Hi, my name is Donna and I am new to your group. I have been reading your posts for awhile though. I was especially interested in the posts about children and breastfeeding. I am a mother of 4. My oldest is 20 years old and my youngest just turned 2 years old. I know...A big age stretch. Back when I had my first child breastfeeding wasn't acceptable. If I was around ANY family members at all when my daughter got hungry they would flee the room...including my OWN husband. My own mother kept telling me what I was doing was wrong and that it would ruin my body. Well I kept up with my OWN beliefs and breastfeed my daughter for a month. Unfortunately she developed a milk allergy and we were forced to put her on Soybean formula. My next child was born the very next year. I breastfeed him till he was weaned. He never knew what a bottle was. Neither did my next child who was born 10 years later. My son now who is 2 is still on a bottle. I tried breastfeeding him but after a couple of months he developed reflux disease. Now I could have continued with breast milk, but I found out that the formula settled better on his stomach and he started becoming a happier baby (not to mention I was a happier mommy). When I started my current child on a bottle, I heard just the opposite from other people: your baby is going to be sick, it's much better if you breastfeed, etc. The lesson I have learned in 20 years is..Do what is best for YOU and your BABY!!!!!!! I think it is up to the indivual to do what you think is best for your child and yourself. I know there is a lot of new mothers out there who want to do what is best for their child. I say, do what is comfortable for you and your baby. I feed my children both ways and all of them have thrived on my decision. I know it is hard to deal with those people who are going to question your every move also. Just stick with your decisions.
Thanks again for the invitation!!! I think this is a wonderful site for women!!!

No comments: