Wednesday, July 17, 2002

What can we do?

At this moment I cannot imagine one thing I could personally do that would convince an upper-caste Pakistanni male to keep his penis in his pants. Its an awful thing to say, but from my current position, sitting here in front of my computer, I honestly don't think that there is anything I can do to stop that man if he is determined to force himself on a woman he cultuarally views as sub or non-human. Now I can imagine what I might do for the women of Pakistan or any other country that views women as inferior creatures and that is educate, educate, educate. Contribute to, volunteer for, and support organizations that educate women. Educate your own sons and daughters, never allow them to denigrate women. Show them that you will not tolerate it in your own life and environment. Choose to be the woman that you want other women to emulate, your daughters to want to be like, your sons to respect, and men to at least not take for granted. Ok, ok, I am preaching to the choir, I know, but example goes a long way.

Helen, I applaud your pissed off-edness at that stupid 'weren't things better when . . .'
When my perfectly employed grandmother couldn't buy a house in her own name without her son's co-signature
When there were still whites only drinking fountains at the laudrymat she used
When my mother told me that only boys could be astronauts
When girls had to take home ec. and boys had to take shop
When girls athletics was considered frivolous

Stop me before I get out of control here
I'm with ya, Helen, I like it a LOT better now.

1 comment:

dghnfgj said...

welcome to the wow power leveling cheap wow power leveling service site,WoW Gold buy cheap wow gold,wotlk gold,world of warcraft power leveling buy wow gold