Friday, April 05, 2002

Teenaged girls and their weight

I was at school yesterday, and I noticed how skinny most of the girls in my school are. (at least those that are not with child) I don't understand the fact that they can think that looking sickly all the time is beautiful. I am not saying that all skinny people are sickly, but if you were to see the girls at my school you would wonder what was going on. I am not picking on skinny people here, this was just an observation that I made yesterday. I would put money on it, that if you were to ask every girl in my school if she has ever been on a diet or suffered from an eating disorder that way over 60% would say yes. I have a friend that was a healthy size 10....which is what I am...her parents, ok so her mother, thought that she was to big and that she should loose some weight. Her mother paid her $50 for every pound she lost. She is now a size 2. She was a really pretty girl before, and now she just looks sickly. Me being a teenaged girl myself if worried about all of this. Why are the girls today so obsessed with their looks? I just don't get it. I am the kind of person that if you don't like me for who I am on the inside then why do I want to talk to you anyways? I also don't get the fact that the guys like their girls skinny. I am not a big girl...but for the guys at my school I am. If you are not a size 2 to a size 5 then you are to big. I am very happy with the way I am, and I am not going to change it for anyone. I like the way I look. I will never understand the reason girls think they have to be small. I also hate going shopping. Its like to be a teenager you have to wear all this small tight fitting shirts and skirts, that are not really shirts at all....they are strings and zippers. Fashion today is something I really don't get. Its the smaller the better. I was shopping with my mother and we were looking at baby cloths...my mother wants a grandchild, from my married and older sister not me, anyways even the baby cloths are smaller and there were things that I would not put my child in it was too...old for a baby to be in. I will never understand that....the obsession with being older than you really are.(and when you get older don't most people wish to be younger??) Can anyone tell me why that is? And can anyone tell me why the youth of today is so obsessed with weight and how they look? Can anyone help me wiht any of this?

No comments: